Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Monday night madness


6-13,portrait, originally uploaded by camille94019.

had a fabulous model last night. Lots of skin texture. It amazing how we always get these terrific bald models. :)

one of my co-drawers mockingly accused me of having a very "communist" style. At first, I had no idea what he was talking about (and we were whispering, to boot, because we didn't want to offend/bring-up-bad-associations to the other artists, about half of whom have grown up or have family in communist/former communist countries). Then I remembered... socially outcast, adolescent camille, holed up in the library poring over soviet propaganda art books. Fast forward, to college age camille, finding the same book and checking it out multiple times from her college library. I hadn't thought about it for years.

I always thought that The Worker was hot. That doesn't make me a communist, though. A group can have lousy politics and good art. I had no idea of the "taboo potential" of things that looked like propaganda. Maybe I am clueless, but I am thinking that here is a movement that should be exploited. So far, i just haven't gotten all excited about doing art in the retro-"shagarific" style (so beloved by the Juxtapoz crowd).

No comments:

Blog Archive

Readers