Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Gazetteer Entry: Muttonham


Balloon Man, originally uploaded by camille94019.

Geography Muttonham lies in the ambiguous area between the Silicon Wastes and the verdant, monied lands of the Peninsula. Although it technically has a coastline, the Muttonhammers haven't made any forays into the Bay since the indigenous Costanoans stopped weaving tule boats. The land is as flat as a pancake, but it has does have fine views of the Flip Flops. Breaking news: the Last Farm is getting turned into condos this year, despite hordes of petition-signing, fresh-fruit-loving, voting citizens. In the last century it was famous for a stage coach stop, fruit orchards and a City dump.

Primordial Associations I didn't spend a lot of time there as a tyke, but I heard about it growing up. Both the Pater and my maternal grandfather worked at one of its institutions for many years. I am continuing the family tradition of living on the right side of the Flip Flop Mountains and driving to town. A few times the Pater took me to visit him at work (one of the many "indoctrinate your daughters on the joys of work" days) and I got to see jet engines, stroll through the miles of magnetic tape reading machines and wander in the wind tunnels. Ironically, I did not pursue a career in aeronautics, though, those visits certainly did inform my faux science fiction aesthetic.

Muttonham Present The town has a very progressive view of art education, and the money to make it happen, and because of that, I have had constant employment here for the last 6 years.

1 comment:

Yokota Fritz said...

I google for "muttonham" after your post in the Art Teacher's bike ride photo and this is the first hit. Cute.

Blog Archive

Readers