Thursday, August 14, 2008

The End of Summer


Dutch and Fresno, originally uploaded by camille94019.

The end of summer is drawing close. Soon I will join Dutch in the daily 925 thing. I will be less of a tourist in my own town. So far, the transition has been bumpy. I returned to Muttonham to teach the final week of summer camps and I already contracted a tonsil infection (I get them every fall, and it is a strange half-sore throat and is one of the Heralds of the Change of Seasons). I had forgotten that rule about washing one's hands all the time when one is in the presence of children. Next week I'll be busy with pre-teaching teacher meetings. One of the reasons I love teaching is the summers, but it seems that every year, they get shorter. I always wonder how that is possible, but last summer was nice and long (mostly because I was unemployed for a good part of the spring and a chunk of the fall).

Things I am looking forward to in Fall

1) Having a routine. I find having a routine requires less thinking, which always is a good thing.

2) The winter squashes start appearing in the grocery store. Yum Yum. Dutch and I just started subscribing to a CSA, and we ate nearly all the fruit out of it almost immediately. I think we are going to have to upgrade to a bigger box.

3) Meeting new students. I do actually like my students, and I am going to get at least a hundred new ones in a few weeks.

4) Marital Bliss. This will be our first fall as married people. I finally have someone to feed soup too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the summers are too short, the school year too long, and the rewards of both, immeasurable. I agree with all three of your reasons to look forward to Fall--especially the winter squash part. Yum. Butternut squash is my personal favorite and acorn squash along with delicata come in a close second.
As for your fourth reason---ummm...married? WOW! Congratulations!!! That's what I get for being way out of touch with the world and living in my proverbial mason jar. I think I should lift the lid more often.

Camille said...

HEY Mason jar,

Butternut is one of my favorites as well. As are delicatas. They both are so sweet when over-roasted. Almost better than icecream.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Sorry for not signing my name--somehow I hit click or whatever (I'm not blogger savvy all the time) before I got a chance to say it's your old friend KYLE (in the mason jar). You get lots of credit for my discovery of the awesome butternut squash.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo

I blog about life and soup, but mostly soup.

Readers