Saturday, February 10, 2007

Roots


originally uploaded to flickr by borolad259

England or California in the spring? Another photo of O-town, West Yorkshire, looking suspiciously like a town in Southern California. There are windmills in the upper right corner. The brown, oak-speckled hills give me chills. I am not sure that the Os originated in this town or if its just a coincidence with names but the internet is vague on the subject. Maybe our Native American brethren are right, and we are connected to the land. Or is the land stuck to us?


img_0299.jpg, originally uploaded by cmrowell.

I was born a few miles from this spot. Notice the brown hills, the windmills (I predate the windmills) and the scrubby oaks in the distance. I spent the first five years of my life there and its vistas are seared into my memory-- from the bottomless sky, the dry, dusty winds, the oaks, the joshua trees, and the apple orchards.

2 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

I just love the pics - somehow that photo of the windmills and the train really gets to me - it looks so much like parts of NZ I love ... except for the windfarm. Do you like the windmills there? Sometimes they're in the right place, sometimes not - we are fighting a proposed windfarm in a pristine spot near to us right now .... fighting the good fight. I find wind-farms eerily beautiful - but they have to be located somewhere where the beauty adds to the landscape and doesn't spoil it - a fine line there. See my January 19th blog to see piccies of where they want to place the windfarm and tell me what you think. (If you want to. No pressure.) I think you'll notice a resemblance to your early landscape as well ... minus the Joshua trees! :) The maori also have a saying about our relationship to the land - how we belong to it and not the other way around.

mikeofearthsea said...

Cool pictures as always.

Sorry I've been a stranger.

Graduation will do that.

I should e-mail you Stef and my holiday e-mail.

In Him,

Mike

Blog Archive

Readers