Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Post Script


Clutch's drawing for me

There are favorite things I forgot!

Carolee at Pod Post. I met her a few years ago at the Foothill Book Arts Jam. A couple of things stood out this year, first, she is beautiful-- the red lipstick and the girl scout uniforms her Pod buddy and she wore were gorgeous. Secondly, her stuff is cool (see the link). I personally own two of her amazing sketchbooks. She was across the aisle from me and we gave each other eyes and she came over a bunch of times to give our side cookies.


drawing from Orion Martin

The Zine Kids. I have noticed that as APE evolves, there seems to be fewer zombie-sex comics and more knitters. That is a good change. On the other hand, there are fewer kids coming around wanting to trade. I used to trade like a fiend (money! bah!) but that ended last year after I started getting dirty looks from people. So now I just don't buy anything from adults (unless it is really really cool, see above entry). But a few zine kids did stop by my table. I tend to always trade, because I remember how it feels. I keep small things around to trade these days. I still trade with friends (like most of the people I've mentioned in these posts). Usually the stuff I get from the zine kids is strange (like the book with the dryer lint taped to the inside), but I did get a book worth noting from Orion Martin (cool name!) called Pup-One 2 Three with interesting drawings. (OK... I did gradgimate from art school... uh, lets see here, effective hatching, sensitive line-work, variety, good control of value-patterns, carefully observed portraits, ta da!)

Derek Kirk Kim: I borrowed his graphic novel recently from a friend at the same time I was subbing in Pacifica last month. He writes/draws about life in the big P. His observations are hilarious and true. I got to say "hello" to him and my biggest regret is that I didn't pick up my own copy of his excellent book.

Post Post Script

When I was Little Camille, I decided I wanted to draw when I grew up. At the time, my drawings included people with lots of fingers. I certainly didn't know what a life of drawing would really entail (what! no picket fence! no gold ring!), nor did I foresee the financial persecutions I'd suffer for it (what! they won't take my credit card!), but somehow, it is all okay when I get to spend an entire weekend in a drafty convention center with a bunch of other misunderstood geniuses who wanted to draw when they were young, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope plenty of copies of "Fat Camille" were dispered! Can you again tell us how to get "Fat Camille"?

oxy said...

Bella!
Where's my Fat Camille???

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo

I blog about life and soup, but mostly soup.

Readers