Monday, December 3, 2007

Boxing Day


Self Portrait @ Beach, originally uploaded by camille94019.

My tiny room is full of boxes. Some of them are semi-permanently stashed in the unreachable part of my closet. Corners are full of those awful Rubbermaid stacking boxes (the same boxes that landed in my last closet that I didn't touch for five solid years). I don't know what is inside them. I vowed when I moved that I wouldn't let that happen again. That my new room would be a minimalist's vision. I dreamed that art supplies would live on a pegboard and never have to be put away and forgotten. Books would live peaceably on bookshelves. That I would have a sweet little loft bed that I could climb onto at night and pretend that it was my very own tree house.

I keep reminding myself that these things have to grow. Its frustrating, my room isn't turning into a 10'x12' paradise by itself.

That Awkward Transition Stage

I always wonder how other people manage to make warm, functional, inviting spaces for themselves. Is there a gene I am missing? Can I blame my parents for not making me clean my room all those years? Is there some way I can make it not my fault? If I seek the proverbial hill-top hermit earnestly enough, will interior-design enlightenment come down from her organized Hibernia and give me all the right furniture? Will I understand when I am 40? Is there a shopping solution, such as IKEA or Urban Outfitters? Does it really boil down to money? Should I spend more time in my room? Maybe I should get off the computer. I am not even sure what I am looking for. Should I get therapy? I keep thinking that I am smart and creative enough to figure this out eventually (if only I don't give up first).

I took this photo of myself at Bean Hollow Beach. It was a rainy, late summer's day. I propped the ancestral Nikon on a rock and tried to arrange myself in such a way as to fall in the view finder. There was a woman walking a gigantic white mastiff, she was wearing a black silk suit and a red scarf. It was a beach scene that only Edith Head and Alfred Hitchcock could have cooked up.

1 comment:

Home & Pet Care by Nikki said...

Just call on the Nikster and she'll be there to help you find places, niches, and the calm that you desire. Remember the art room?

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo

I blog about life and soup, but mostly soup.

Readers