Friday, December 31, 2010

Why sew?

I just spent the last 3 days holed up in my mother's bedroom.  I started 2 adult dresses and a baby dress. I finished 1 of the big dresses and I finished the baby outfit.  The days went by very quickly. Lulu hung out with me the whole time. Time was when I was a baby on the floor, playing with my mother's scraps.  Lulu  was excellent company, keeping the conversation going, always a word of encouragement or a well considered a critique.  She made sure we didn't forget meal times. She even helped me a little with the ironing and sewing.  Until I realized just how dangerous those  activities are. But mostly I had time to think; about equity and fairness, about the cost of my time, about the millions of people around the world working in garment  factories, about the amount of a effort that goes into a single garment. About what it would be like working on an assembly line, sewing the same garment over and over.  I wondered what I was doing. fabric isn't cheap and I could spend the same amount of money and get a better product.  I sent hours  on the orange dress, getting it fit right and anyone who knows what to look for will know it was home made.  I suppose that is the charm.

3 comments:

H said...

Agreed.
A few months ago I pondered buying a second hand sewing machine so I could make "retro" clothes that fit me. Then I realized it would be cheaper just to buy them off Etsy than it would be to make them myself-- not as much fun though. And, I keep looking at Gracie Lu's pic trying to figure out which parent she resembles the most. I can't believe how big she's getting!

Carmen said...

I was about to step out of the door today wearing my new orange dress, and LuLu vomited all over me. Otherwise, I would have posted a picture.

H said...

orange is a great color on you! I remember that orange shirt you used to wear... it's your color.

Blog Archive

Readers