Thursday, June 16, 2011

Looking for work

This is week three in my "job search".  I haven't had to look for a job for three years.  That has been nice.  For three years I didn't have to wonder (too much) about summer work, or health coverage, or what my schedule would be like in the fall.  But now, I have a baby boy due in October, and I will want to take some time off (like at least 5 months) to get to know him, and of course, the time with LuLu will be wonderful, too.  I have sent off a few applications on the internet.  Tho' in the past I have gotten more jobs from the old fashioned classifieds and Craigslist.  I see there is even more required paperwork for teachers.  In the last three moves I have been less than diligent about keeping my teaching/credential file up-to-date.  Some papers my be in the black holes of institutional archives.  I am trying not to hyperventilate when I see things like "NCLB certification"  (that is, No Child Left Behind, and I *think* I got a xeroxed yellow sheet a few years ago with mine, but it looked so unoffical I am not sure I saved it) and "three typed letters of recommendation" and a copy of  credential (which is particularly worrisome, since  the Department of Ed phased those out a few years ago-- the paper ones, that is.  Anyone with my social security number on hand should be able to look up all my state credentials.  Doesn't the job poster know this?)  I wonder if I can get my old file from San Francisco, they owe me something at least, for all of this.

So I am sitting here, on our family computer, listening to Verdi's Aida, letting LuLu slowly disassemble the living room and looking at the lists of  job openings, trying to imagine an imaginary self in settings that are only barely sketched out in the posts ("urban environment," "Reggio Emilia-type," "bilingual-required," "Hillsborough," "Ravenswood," "own curriculum," "motivated self-starter," ""bathrooming and daipering duties").  Usually the images that come up are very negative, based on my own worst experiences with plenty of embellishment.  I can see how people past a certain age could take years to recover from a lay-off.  I have enough crummy job experience where just a few phrases will send me clicking out of a post, even though the reality may be very different.  I am not a particularly depressive person, but the most negative inner voices seem to be the only ones who pipe up and it is hard to ignore them.  When I had my final conversation with my last principal, he tried to console me by saying that he wrote the job description for my position with the narrowest requirements possible, in the hopes that no one would want to apply for it, and it would stay open for me.  Looking at the postings to the jobs I am probably the most qualified for and the most attractive, it feels like the job posters are saving those openings up for other, specific people.  I know so many people who wanted my old job (including myself!).  So far I have only applied to jobs I am horribly overqualified for.  I need to get some new inner voices. 


Part Time Inner Voice (Pacifica, Montara, Moss Beach)


Date: 2011-06-14, 10:25PM PDT
Reply to:

Unemployed Art Teacher is looking for a new inner voice with a BFA degree in Pep Talking and Career Coaching.

You must be able to work 2 or more afternoons per week and possibly Saturdays, and anytime the Art Teacher is doing her futile job searches.

The work environment is laid back, home-based, and duties may include light housekeeping and childcare for a darling toddler.

Each session is 1.5 hours.



If you have a passion for art and enjoy working with children we would love hear from you. Please e-mail resume with 10-15 copies of artwork.

Requirements:
- BFA in Studio Art (or equivalent drawing and painting skills)
- Experience in teaching art to small groups of children (up to 8 students) a PLUS
- College coursework in Early Childhood Education and/or Art Education a PLUS
- Responsible individual who always comes to class on time and prepared
- Dependable, professional, positive attitude, flexible, and patient

  • Compensation: Starting at $15/hr (depending on experience).
  • This is a part-time job.
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My Dearest Roomate! For which you Are eternally. Lo! it is your long lost M-ster. So joyful i am, to have been searching for poetry and quotes, which took me to Rosa's blog, my longlost poetess and friend, and reading her blog came upon my name (The Molly) to which Whoa, i know this person, to which i realized who she was, then saw the link to the goodold 327 Market. Which you still are and I still am. And to find your expecting another child. I am so happy! I am soo soo happy! and am eternally yours, though you are growing in family and cuteness with babies, and your blog sings on and I am glad!!!

Blog Archive

Readers