Sunday, March 20, 2005

Family Drama

I lost an auntie yesterday. The Kneebiter and I were publicly disowned in front of that big, downtown garage. I forget what its called, but its the one where that hippie folk-singer always sits and plays.

We were walking towards the Mall when I saw aunt and uncle Palomar coming towards us. I literally dragged the KB across the so we could say hello. When I approached Auntie P to give her a hug, she shrunk away from me like I was a leper.

"OH NO! I DON'T WANT A HUG FROM YOU!," she announced loudly as she ducked out of my grasp.

I was a bit taken aback. My relations with auntie P have always been very warm.

"Why not," I asked.

"I AM NO RELATION OF YOURS! YOU'RE AN E! AND I DON'T LIKE ES. I AM NOT A PART OF THE E FAMILY ANYMORE"

"We are not Es, we are Os. Surely you don't have a quarrel with the Os."

"YOUR MOTHER IS AN O AND I DON'T LIKE YOUR MOTHER!"

My poor uncle was just standing there. I turned to him and gave him a big hug. He gave me a lovely smile. He had just gotten out of the hospital. He had had a rough week, a couple days ago he wanted to harm himself, but he had the presence of mind to trundle himself to the hospital instead.

I really tried not to get upset in front of the KB. One unhinged auntie is enough.

"Allright," I said, "Goodbye former auntie." And I gave my uncle another hug. Then we headed off to the Saturn for some fries and a big heap of normalcy.

Yup, losing relatives is just a walk in the Mall.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Readers