Sunday, June 5, 2005

The Depth of My Ignorance is Becoming Painfully Apparent


slightly less severly, originally uploaded by camille94019.

I discovered the "box camera" people on flickr today. And not to be left behind, as I happen to have a "box camera" that I always assumed to be totally obsolete, I decided to make it work.

But I soon discovered there are obstacles.

So I brought the camera to the place downtown and showed the nice lady the film I wanted (there was some in the camera, I figured if there were any images they were long gone). They haven't sold that size in 30 years. She recommended ebay. I wanted some NOW. So she sold me some 120, medium format film, that I could trim.

Given that I have never loaded a medium format camera before. (what is this "spool" object? where is the little metal cover?)

Given that the film I have needs to be trimmed before I can load into the Brownie that I am compelled to use RIGHT NOW

Given that I don't have a dark room

Given that I do have a pair of scissors and one of those black bags with zippers and sleeves. I was under the mistaken impression that I had the technology to load, trim, transfer everything in total darkness.

Given that I had no idea what is in one of those 120 rolls (what! there's two layers of stuff?)

Given that I can't see what I am doing and the bag keeps getting in the way of the scissors and I really don't know what I am doing even if I could see my hands.

Given that once I got the camera loaded, it became apparant that the take-up knob doesn't seem to have any connection with the take up spool. (critical if I want to take more than one picture).

So the film is in the camera now, but its anyone's guess as to whether or not I'll be able to advance it. I had to take off the gloves at one point because I simply couldn't figure out what I was cutting, so even if it does work, yours truly's fingerprints will be all over it.

Delayed gratification. I'll have to take to back to the DT to develop it. I am now having sympathy for poulet's rocket camera fiasco. It will be days before I have any results... weeks, even.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Readers