Monday, September 26, 2005

Muttonham Update


Balloon Man, originally uploaded by camille94019.

I feel like I am on a long layover... in a town, instead of an airport. I have a few hours to kill before drawing tonight.

Today was my first day teaching at the Big T. The administration had announced last summer that I had "gotten a full-time job and was moving on." The staff was quite surprised to see me. I always find announcements like that to be sinister. That is what the principal would announce when a staffer got fired in LA. Instead of saying, "we fired so and so" she'd say, "she is moving on to a better job."

I went around and assured people that the rumours of my demise were greatly exagerated. Some staff even argued with me.

-why are you here?
-I am teaching.
-what do you mean? I thought you had "moved on"
-Well, I haven't
-But the principal said you had.
-She was misinformed.
-Are you sure? She said you had a full time job. Don't you?

I felt vaguely unloved. In addition to clearing up the false rumours, the PTA woman informed me that I would have to share my storage (something I have done for the last 5 years) with the unspoken message that I have too much crap in her way. Urgh. I am tired of dealing with them. After years of getting kicked out of rooms, and running the art program from a bathroom or a kitchen, and begging for support, they dish this additional indignity. In reality, everyone is crammed together and there simply aren't enough resources to go around. I just wish the PTA and the administration could be a little more graceful about it.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Readers