Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Traumerie, or "baby's dream"

One of the last projects to be ticked off the list for APE is the Baby's Dream book. I spent a few hours on the puter last night scanning and laying things out in photoshop (missing that Corel program of H's). If I actually get it published is something else. I am going to make a valiant effort on Friday. "Traumerie" is German for reverie. It was the working title, but no one prolly knows what it means, so I subtitled it "baby's dream" so it would be obvious what the book was about. "traumerie" was the name of a piano piece I learned as a kid, by Robert Schumann. Its beautiful, and full of the sweet longing that this particular book evokes for me. I started it last Fall when I had big plans about doing books devoted to the dreams each of the characters. But it ended up creating another character, instead.

here are a few highlights.

The first part of the book is Mother's search for the baby. The baby desperately wants to be found, so I naturally thought that Someone should be looking for him. And what do babies want? Their mommies.

4

The Baby's first sight of his mother. I cried when I drew this.

5

The Rude Awakening. I don't know why waking up is so traumatic (oooh, another reason I like the word "traumerie") for babies, but the KB completely freaked out when she was little and waking up. Every time.

11

For more, you'll have to read to book.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Readers